Friday, August 15, 2008

Looking Back...

I posted this earlier, but it disappeared, so I thought I'd put it up again. I'll be home in four days! I can't believe it!

One thing’s for sure –moving across the country for three months was the greatest adventure of my life. My internship didn’t turn out anything like I expected, but it was an experience I wouldn’t trade and I’ll never forget.
I interned with the Republican Governors Association as their front desk/political/do anything else I’m asked intern. At first, I didn’t see the connection between the work I was doing at my internship and everything else I was studying as an elementary education major. As time went on, I came to love my internship and the crash course I was getting in politics. Politics had never really interested me before, but researching governors’ campaigns and having discussions with other people in my office showed me how fascinating government and politics are.
Working at the RGA was a lot of fun, too. I got to eat lunch every day in the park across the street from the White House, I made friends with the other interns in the office, I got to talk with governors on the phone, and I developed a love for afternoon Au Bon Pain cookie breaks.
I also got to see one of the greatest cities in the world with some of the greatest people I’ve ever met. From kayaking on the Potomac to seeing the monuments at night to cheering at baseball games, every day was an adventure.
I was nervous when I first stepped on the plane to come to DC. I didn’t know any of the other interns, and I didn’t know if I would do well at my internship. Looking back after almost three months, I know the risk paid off. I can’t wait to come back!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you had such a good experience in DC. Its so great that you got the opportunity to have such a cool adventure! We are excited to have you back in Utah and even more excited to hear all your great stories.

AND we need to go out to lunch when you get back. Its been way too long since we've done that.

Jill said...

Um, if you don't ever update, how am I supposed to procrastinate things I don't want to face?

Stanley Langford Lloyd said...

You failed to mention that you also found your boyfriend :)