Those of you who know me and have talked to me lately know that I'm trying really hard to prepare to run a 5K next month. I've been running all summer long, and I've yet to make it to the point where I can run three miles straight. I'm so frustrated! I know three miles is nothing to a lot of people, but for me, it's a lot. I've never been the running type - aerobics class and "ellipticalling" are more my style. Tonight I ran my usual 1.6 miles and could go no further. How do I get over this hump before next month???
Suggestions?
5 comments:
Would you like to try a saturday run with me?
Maybe you already know about the "couch to 5k" program, but that is an awesome way to work slowly up to running all 3 miles. You could just adjust the schedule to where you're at. If you google couch to 5k, you'll find the website with the training program schedule. I used this last year and loved it!
I understand how you feel; I went through this before my first 5k last fall. A few things I've found helpful:
1. A scenic trail to run on. If you go a bit slower & enjoy the view, that's OK, you'll want to go further over all.
2. Great music. Don't be afraid to mouth the words and sing along in your head (or out loud!) It helps to distract you from thinking, "how much longer?"
3. A jogging buddy will keep you going. (I'll vouch for KK.)
4. Take a breather. I walk for a minute about every mile, or even stretch a bit. It helps to refresh & face the next mile a little less exhausted.
Good luck! What race are you running?
Dan and I go running -- he likes it and I try to keep up. The great thing is that he pushes me and doesn't get annoyed when I have to slow down and walk for a bit. Buddies are great for motivating you. I've also heard people say that they have a "power song" that they play on their mp3 or iPod when they're losing energy and need a boost.
Thanks for all the suggestions! They really helped! KK I would love to do a Saturday run with you. Are you free next week? Oh, and Michelle, I'm planning on running the Young Alumni 5K during Homecoming Week at the U.
Post a Comment