Thursday, May 26, 2011

The post where I discuss my love/hate relationship with the blogging world

Sometimes I love blogging, and sometimes I hate it. There. I said it.


I love blogging because it is a great way to process all the wonderful things that happen each day in my life. I blog because I want to be able to look back at my life, pictures and all, and see how truly blessed I am. Of course, I'm always hopeful that there is someone out there in the great wide blogosphere who will read what I write, but whether or not, at least I get to go back and read it. Blogs are a way for me to share what's on my mind - the things I love, the things that make me happy, the things that make me giggle, and the things that make me groan.


On top of writing on my own little blog, it's great fun to peruse others' writing. I am often inspired by what I find on my favorite blogs. It's entertaining to see what my friends are doing or read about someone's great outfit or delicious new recipe.


However... have you ever noticed how depressing blogs can be? Quite often I find that I feel sad after reading other people's blogs, because they are off doing exciting and wonderful things with their lives, and I'm just sitting here in front of a computer. Why can't I live in a big, bustling city with a million things to do around every corner? Why can't I always have something interesting to say? URGH. Have you ever felt this way? Please say it isn't just me.


Then comes the real clincher. I absolutely cannot stand when I read a close friend's blog and find out something really notable has happened in her life and I HAD NO IDEA! Do I really have to find out about it on the computer? This is where most of my love/hate comes in. Blogs make it possible for us to stay closely connected with each other, but they are also tools of isolation. I don't want to read that you graduated, got married, found out you're expecting, moved to a new place, etc., etc. over the internet. I want you to tell me yourself.


So, there you have it. I probably won't give up blogging for good, because, let's face it, it's pretty addicting.


But sometimes it's also pretty aggravating.


How do you feel about it?

2 comments:

Kenna said...

Agreed! I think that every single person that blogs has those exact feelings, I just always try to remember that everyone usually blogs about the happiest things that happen in their lives, most people don't blog about break-ups, deaths, fights and so on. So I try to be happy for others when I read their blog.
I agree about getting news through a blog, I just found out that my cousin is getting married through her blog, not a phone call, e-mail or text but on her blog, and she has been engaged for a whole month.
Good luck with your feelings about blogging and please keep blogging because I always check out your blog and see what you are up to, especially cause I don't see you very often.
Happy blogging!

Brittney said...

Maggie.... I love you. Just thought you should know. And life my dear friend, can happen whether you are in a thriving city like DC or in little old Utah. But yes, I do agree. Finding out people news on blogger is a bit irritating. Like you, I would much prefer a phone call, or even better, a get together to talk face to face. Anyway, don't give up on blogging because I love reading your page and your many adventures.