Monday, February 1, 2010

OUCH

If I had a camera on the couch with me right now, I'd take a picture of me laying here for the third day straight, unable to walk, with my swollen right ankle in a brace.

Now that you've got that great mental picture...

I fell down. On Saturday.

Now, this is not really an unusual thing for me to do, but I did a fine job of it this time. I was carrying a huge basket of laundry down my very steep and very skinny stairs when I missed a step and went crashing to the bottom. One severly sprained and hopefully not broken ankle later, I'm laying on the couch with my leg on a pillow.

I don't think I'll be able to walk for a while. Here is why this is a problem:
1. I won't be able to go to my favorite aerobics class with my favorite people for a very long time.
2. Teaching on crutches will be an adventure, for sure.
3. How am I supposed to carry anything to the copy room when I'm making copies for my class?
4. I'm not 100% sure my leg isn't broken, but I REALLY don't want to go to the hospital if they're just going to say, "Ice it, wrap it, and stay off of it."
5. I missed an awesome concert on Saturday night and a Jazz game tonight because I can't move.
6. I won't be able to run for weeks. Ugh!

Okay, okay... I'll try to find some silver linings.
1. The wonderful people I work with are super supportive and have offered to help with anything I need.
2. I got to watch loads of television today.
3. It could have been worse. There could have been blood.
4. I have crutches to help me hobble.
5. I caught up on my reading of "The Lost Symbol." It's an exciting book that I'm glad I didn't have to put down. And now I can return it to my friend on time. :)
6. When I am finally able to run again, it will feel so great!

1 comment:

phortin said...

Believe it or not, the doctor told me that a sprain is worse than a break. The break heals quicker and is less painful....at least the sprain I got a few years ago.